Try these simple at home remedies to keep your hair in top shape so you can love your locks and tame your tresses.
- Don’t wash your hair too often. Frizzy hair tends to be dry in the first place and over washing will strip hair of essential oils and dry the cuticle. This will lead to a vicious cycle since you’ll tend to apply conditioners or leave-in serums that will weigh down your hair, thus causing you to wash more often.
- Once a week, give yourself a pampering spa treatment. Treat your hair to an oil massage. Coconut oil is my favorite, but olive, Jojoba Oil and Argan oil work just as well.
- Cold Water! Did I say cold? The colder the better. When you wash your hair turn the water as cold as you can stand it, especially when it comes time to rinse. The cold water seals the cuticle preventing the frizz.
- Make a salad…for your hair. Mix half an avocado with 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and add an egg for good measure. Slop it on your head and wrap your hair in plastic wrap. Leave on for 30 minutes. Wash your hair well because the mayo can leave a residue if not washed well.
- Switch your cotton pillowcase to a Silk Pillowcase for Hair . You’ll be surprised how not only does it helps control bed head but you’ll wake up with less wrinkles!
- Go casual with a t-shirt. Toss the towel and try a t-shirt. Regular towels have small bristles that rub against the hair cuticle and roughens it up. But, using an old t-shirt to wrap around your wet hair will actually prevent the cuticle from opening up, so your hair will dry beautifully with virtually no frizz. The soft cotton in the t-shirt will not rough up the cuticle and not cause as much friction as a regular towel will. If you can’t bear to part with your favorite tee, a t-shirt hair towel will do the job.
- And you might be causing your frizzy hair and you don’t even know it. In this YouTube video, Andrea, from Andrea’s Choice shows us how to prevent and treat the frizzies.
- And have you heard of the No’Poo movement? It advocates going without shampooing the hair. Hair is cleaned using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Some women have not washed their hair in years and say their hair is better than ever!
- Bananas are an awesome natural moisturizer because they have carbohydrates, potassium, vitamins, and natural oils that your hair will love. A banana, yogurt, and honey mask for your hair is an excellent way to give your hair a fruity parfait pampering. Here’s what you need to do: mash one banana and mix in about 1/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt and add 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply all over your hair and leave it on for up to 30 minutes to an hour. When you wash your hair, your hair will feel soft and silky and you’ll be glad you did this.
- A coconut milk hair mask is also a good way to nourish your hair with protein and moisture. You can buy coconut milk at the store or get it from natural coconuts. Warm the coconut milk in a saucepan and apply to your hair. Make sure it is not too warm since you do not want to burn your scalp. Massage into your hair and scalp and leave on for about an hour. Wash out, shampoo and condition as usual. Your hair will love you!
Homemade masks to tame frizzy hair
So your hair is feeling a little dry lately? If the answer is yes then you know that you are at increased risk for frizzy hair. Because frizzy hair is naturally dry, avoiding added dryness is the first step to learning how to get rid of frizzy hair.
Using a Pumpkin mask to tame frizzy hair
You may not know this but using pumpkin to make a mask for your hair, and even your face, can be a wonderful source of moisture for your dry and damaged hair. Because pumpkin is loaded with vitamin A and C, potassium, beta-carotene and zinc, you can get these nutrients delivered straight to your hair and scalp. The ingredients in pumpkin help with hair regrowth and they are an excellent moisturizer for dry and damaged hair.
So go to your cupboard and take out the leftover cans of pureed pumpkin you had from Thanksgiving (you know we all have them), and read the recipe below to give your hair a yummy pumpkin spice treat!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 -2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 T coconut oil or olive oil
Mix thoroughly and apply to your hair. Wrap your hair in Saran wrap or a shower cap. Sit under the dryer for 10 to 15 minutes or leave it on for about 45 minutes.
After, shampoo and rinse as usual. Your hair will thank you since it will be moisturized and feel deliciously soft and smooth!
Added bonus: put the unused mixture on your face for a pampering moisturizing experience for your skin!
If you don’t have time to make your own pumpkin mask, then try out Sexy Hair’s Healthy Sexy Pumpkin Puree Treatment Masque. It’s amazing!